Staff Software Engineer
Why this role?
Help build the future of sales: At Nektar, you will help redefine the way people sell. Across countries and industries. There are few startups with this kind of market potential.
A team with decades of domain expertise: Between them, the founders have nearly two decades of experience founding and growing startups and building and selling SaaS products globally.
Tackle our most impactful problems: Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. You’ll jump between product, design, engineering, devops and growth. You will not be bored.
Join us at a magical time: Founded and headquartered in Singapore, Nektar raised a substantial seed round from great SaaS VCs in less than 4 weeks of starting the company, giving us a massive jump start and room to focus on our product and users.
What do we do?
Nektar’s mission is to help people work smarter. Our first product is an assistant for sales teams that will help close more deals faster.
Sales organizations have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on systems of record to collect vast amounts of data. This data might produce pretty graphs on managers’ reports but it hardly ever helps the salesperson in the field move their deals forward. This is why, in 2019, less than 30% of salespeople used their organization’s CRM as intended, and 57% of the sales teams globally missed their sales quota.
This is where we’re different — we are laser-focused on the specific actions that help salespeople close deals. We’re building a real system of growth, a first of it’s kind to help salespeople become better salespeople by helping our users build productive habits, adopting best practices and eliminating friction from the sales process.
What are we looking for in the ideal candidate?
- We’re looking for someone to help build and lead a team and cultivate a culture of innovation and engineering excellence.
- You enjoy being hands-on in designing, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining and improving major software components, systems, and features.
- You should manage your individual projects’ priorities, deadlines, and deliverables and mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards.
- You should have eight years of relevant work experience in software development(ideally some of which you’ve spent in startups) and familiarity with Node.js, distributed computing and relational databases.
- As an all-remote team, we require excellent communication skills, particularly in writing. You must be a self-motivated “*manager of one”* who can work independently, take ownership and proactively seek help when required. Prior experience of working in a remote environment will be positive but is not required.
- As a startup, we prefer generalists over specialists and product-focused engineers who can empathise with users. Experience working at a fast-growing startup would.
- It would help if you had a habit of writing high-quality, well-tested code to meet the needs of your users and customers.
- Experience in sales tech will be a strong positive, but is not a must.
What will you do at Nektar
- Together with other engineers, work closely with the product, design, and growth team to build features that reimagine B2B Sales in the digital era.
- Shape the engineering culture. As a team, we have frequent tea talks and coffee chats with experienced CTOs, Product and Engineering leaders. We believe that every engineer at Nektar could be an excellent Engineering Leader one day.
- Be an integral driver in our product direction. The best ideas are usually some combination of teamwork.
- Learn about what it’s like to create and build a startup — founders share learnings every week as we go through all the trials and tribulations of growing a successful business together from the ground up. We hope and encourage that all Nektar employees start their own companies and write their own stories in the future.
How do we work?
We’re an all-remote engineering team from the beginning (yes, since before the pandemic!), and we’ve built a fantastic remote-friendly culture. We support every team member to set up a great personal workspace that fits them — whether that’s a home office, a co-working space or just hanging out at a coffee shop. We are location agnostic and you can literally choose a location that works for you 😃. Our distributed team currently sits in Singapore, India, Vietnam and Indonesia.
We do weekly team activities, like online gaming and coffee chat to ensure that physical distance doesn’t keep us from being a close-knit team.
Nektar is a small team, and everyone’s involved in shaping the product we build. We’re still iterating and figuring out the product-market fit, so we’re not averse to throwing away code. We’d rather build a few powerful features that solve important needs than lots of features that are not as valuable.
In line with our mission — helping people work smarter — we’re always thinking about how we can work smarter ourselves. We try to avoid large and long meetings and prefer ad-hoc collaboration with one or two other people instead. We invest in continuous integration and deployment, automated testing and other tooling to eliminate friction from our engineering processes. We aim for clear written documentation and communication.